Friday, October 30, 2015

Turn toward your spouse

I love that scripture that Goddard quoted in Chapter 3, “Lord I Believe; Help thou mine unbelief.” That is a very profound scripture, we can have faith in The Lord Jesus Christ, but can we have faith in God, The Holy Ghost, and our spouse? With all the faith that I have in marriage, I still say, Lord, help my unbelief. I think that my husband and I have from the beginning put God first in our marriage. We go to the temple regularly, go to church regularly, we pray regularly, serve in callings, do all the Bishop or others ask us to do; maybe that is not what is meant by putting God first in our marriage. Maybe it is doing the little things that Gottman talks about; turning toward each other when we are asked to be somewhere else or doing something else. In looking at the emotional bank account my husband and I do many activities on the list and there are many that we do not do. I wonder if by doing things for other people all the time we are avoiding spending time together, just the two of us. Many of our date nights are spent with other people. We did do a date night last week by ourselves, we watched HGTV Love it or List it and ate ice cream. Now that may sound mundane and boring to some but it was relaxing for us to kick back and watch a show. We did talk a bit, during the commercials, about what we might do on our next required date night.

I think we do share many common meanings like how we feel or relate to our parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and son in law and grandsons. It is important to have family traditions, for instance we spend Thanksgiving with one side of the family and Christmas with the other, then the next year we flip it. I told my mom yesterday, next year Christmas was suppose to be at their house maybe we can change that to my daughters house in Hawaii since they are moving there just before Christmas this year. We always celebrate birthdays in big fashion, I usually get to go to NYC for my birthday and we take a trip for my husband, we have been to Disney and taken a cruise; which is nice in January to go somewhere warm. All of these little traditions help to make our family complete and whole. What are some things that you guys like to do together?

No comments:

Post a Comment