Saturday, November 7, 2015

Let Your Partner Influence You


When I read this title to my husband he had a hardy laugh. Not because of the title, but because of me. We have had recent talks about this very subject; how we influence each other or rub off on each other. I think it is how we have humbled ourselves and made an effort to rid ourselves of pride. President Benson said in May 1989 Ensign Article, “Let us choose to be humble. We can choose to humble ourselves by conquering enmity toward our brothers and sisters, esteeming them as ourselves, and lifting them as high or higher than we are. (See D&C 38:24D&C 81:5D&C 84:106.) We can choose to humble ourselves by receiving counsel and chastisement. (See Jacob 4:10Hel. 15:3;D&C 63:55D&C 101:4–5D&C 108:1D&C 124:61, 84;D&C 136:31Prov. 9:8.) We can choose to humble ourselves by forgiving those who have offended us. (See 3 Ne. 13:11, 14D&C 64:10.) We can choose to humble ourselves by rendering selfless service. (See Mosiah 2:16–17.) We can choose to humble ourselves by going on missions and preaching the word that can humble others. (See Alma 4:19Alma 31:5Alma 48:20.)” I love that he says we can choose to be humble; humility is a choice one that will benefit us in our everyday lives not just in our marriage. President Uchtdorf in a talk to the priesthood October 2010 said, “I believe there is a difference between being proud of certain things and being prideful. I am proud of many things. I am proud of my wife. I am proud of our children and grandchildren.” He is so right; I am proud of many things but it is easy to be prideful if I don’t watch out. That is where humbling myself comes in to practice.

It was interesting to play the survival game with my husband. He chose necessary items that if we were stranded would help us to help ourselves, like a radio, walkie-talkie, water, knife, rope and gun along with some other items to make up his ten. The interesting part was I had chosen many of the same items because I have spent the last 10 years with this man. So I’m convinced that after living with someone so long you pick up their habits even if you might find them annoying; in a good way. What do you guys think? Do you and your partner thing alike or do things alike?

No comments:

Post a Comment