Friday, December 11, 2015

Creating Family Ties

I think it is very important to create healthy ties with your married children, in-laws, siblings and anyone that is related in any way- aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and the like. I know how important these relationships can be. After the death of my first husband, I lost contact with his family; his parents had both died before we were married, but he had one brother and one sister. Within the last year I found both of them, thanks to Facebook. It has been thirty-five years since I have seen or talked to them. It truly was like those thirty-five years vanished. We picked up where we left off; like no time had passed. I still see my second husband’s brothers and sisters, a couple of brothers live in my area that I see more often. He has a brother and two sisters out west that I have gone to visit. For my kids’ sake I feel it is important to have some of their dad’s family influence.
My husband now only has his dad and two sisters and their families living. I love my father in law! He is the most amazing 87 year old I know. He likes to go and do things still, which is awesome.  We have him over for dinner once a month. My husband calls his dad everyday to check in. One of his sisters’ lives near by the other is about two hours away. We get together with them about four times a year.They are busy and live different life styles than ours.
My daughters’ in-laws just moved to Hawaii, on a different Hawaii than my daughter and her family, but it is so nice that she will have them nearby. I love her in-laws; they are awesome, adventurous and stable. I like spending time with them. They raised a great son.

I have so many extended family members now because my children are adopted and recently found their birth families. I feel this is a great blessing; more people to love and love my children. Seriously, my family tree has grown into a forest. I love it and I love each and every member of my family and extended family whether, by birth, marriage or adoption. It is so important to maintain contact with all your family, even if it is only a few times a year. Remember to contact them on their birthday, send a Christmas card any special occasion you can think of would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment